- Anchorage is a city of the US, State of Alaska. Its currency, as in all of the US territory, is the American dollar; so it is advisable to have the currency exchange done in Mexico.
- In order to visit Anchorage, it is required to have a valid American visa and passport for three months. If your stay exceeds the three months, it is required to get another type of visa processed in order to avoid having problems when staying in Alaska.
- As for the rest of the American cities, Anchorage has great flexibility in their restaurants’ meal schedules. The lunch (or dinner) time runs from 12 to 15 hours and the dinner (or supper) time from 18 to 24 hours. An average of open business hours for catering places runs from 9 to 22 hours.
- Usually, the climate in Anchorage has low temperatures. Nevertheless, it is comparable with the one that you may experience in cities like San Francisco; and in the summertime, the weather gets especially benign to do outdoors activities. Between the spring and summer seasons, there are in record less precipitations, and during the fall and winter season, one can admire the most spectacular landscapes, blankets of snow and ice formations displayed.
- One of the main attractions in this city is its legendary Mushing or Sled Dog Racing. These races of sleds pulled by dogs became a sport at the beginning of the century. It is, however, an ancestral activity, for this is one of the oldest transportation means used by man in his tasks or to facilitate the search and carriage of the game. The best known and most attractive competition is the Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race, coinciding with other great regional events celebrated at the city center; the place where this show of men and dogs starts, racing for an objective: to win; finishing near Campbell Creek.
- The views offered by Anchorage are incomparable. Not just for the stunning beauty of its mountains and long rivers, but for its being the region with the greatest concentration of glaciers inside the US, being the ones located in the south central region the most accessible for tourists to visit.
- The living relationship of the Anchorage inhabitants with the wildlife is undeniable. Since their arrival, the visitors witness that in this contrasting city, they may find both the rustic sense given by nature and the modernity offered by the main towns delivering all of the services. Among the attractions of this region is the ethnic sense of their aboriginal people and its nature, present in the Chugach State Park and the Alaska Native Heritage Center.
Text: AMURA ± Photo: SP / 50PC / WPD / TTALK